This is the first and most comprehensive collection of all publicly available writings of Dr. Muir, some available for the fist time in electronic format (indicated with **). Each link below will take you to the full text to read or download in PDF format (recommended reader) without the impediment of payments or embargoes. Certain texts are not available to me in any form (indicated with *), if you can help to remedy this, or know of any works I have overlooked, please contact me.
This effort is completely of my own initiative and without the knowledge or consent of Dr. Muir or any other party. For inquiries about the contents linked here, please contact me at: email@example.com. Any inquiries about the topics or arguments in the body of the papers should be directed to Dr. Muir - he continues to teach at the University of Winnipeg. With a recent sojourn to Briercrest College in Sasketchewan.
The complete works of Dr. James Muir in ascending chronological order
- * The relationship between education and political doctrine: the Isocratic heritage and a Socratic alternative. University of Oxford, Dissertation, 1995.
- "The Evolution of Philosophy of Education Within Educational Studies." Educational Philosophy and Theory Volume 28, Issue 2 (1996): pp. 1 - 26. (Scribd mirror.)
- "The Strange Case of Mr. Bloom." Journal of Philosophy of Education Volume 30, Issue 2 (1996): pp. 197 - 214.
- "Ancient Jewish Political Thought and the Legacy of Isocrates." The European Legacy Volume 2, Issue 5 (August 1997): pp. 827 - 840. (Scribd mirror.)
- "The History of Educational Ideas and the Credibility of Philosophy of Education." Educational Philosophy and Theory Volume 30, Issue 1 (1998): pp. 7 - 26. (Scribd mirror.)
- * "Aristotle's Logic of Education." Education Philosophy and Theory Volume 31, Number 2 (1999): pp. 251-253.
- ** "Political Doctrine, Philosophy, and the Value of Education: The Legacy of Isocrates and the Socratic Alternative." Journal of Educational Thought Volume 33, Issue 3 (1999): pp. 255 - 278. (Scribd mirror.)
- Includes a response from John Wilson and a subsequent reply by James Muir.
- Available for the first time electronically.
- "Notes on the Isocratic Legacy and Islamic Political Thought: The Example of Education." The European Legacy Volume 6, Issue 4 (2001): pp. 453 - 470. (Scribd mirro)
- "Is There a History of Educational Philosophy? John White vs the historical evidence." Educational Philosophy and Theory Volume 36, Issue 1 (February 2004): pg. 35 - 56. (Scribd mirror.)
- See also: John White "Reply to James Muir."
- "Is our history of educational philosophy mostly wrong? The case of Isocrates." Theory and Research in Education Vol. 3, No. 2 (2005): pp. 165 - 195. (Scribd mirror.)
- See also: Isocrates, the forgotten educational philosopher? a detailed blog post à propos this article at Edu*Rhetor.
- "Derrida and Post-Modern Political Philosophy." The European Legacy Volume 13, Issue 4 (2008): pp. 425 - 443.
Last updated: June 26, 2011 - most files are now redundantly hosted with the primary link pointing to the GoogleDocs version where possible.